In partnership with The Associated Board of The Royal Schools Of Music (ABRSM) UK, we are pleased to offer choirs an opportunity to take an internationally recognized qualification in the form of Choral Exams during the Festival!
ABRSM is the UK’s largest music education body, one of its largest music publishers and the world’s leading provider of music exams, offering assessments to over 600,000 candidates in over 90 countries every year.
About the Exams (closing date: 5th April 2019) :
1) There will be 3 levels of Choral Exams (Initial, Intermediate, Advanced). Exam fees for each level are as follows:
Initial Level – 570 MYR (per choir)
Intermediate Level – 640 MYR (per choir)
Advanced Level – 960 MYR (per choir)
2) Exam information can be found here:
3) Choirs can use the same repertoire as in the MCE National Choir Competition as the programme can be a free choice. Full syllabus requirements are listed on the link below:
Please note that choirs would need to provide scores and where the text is not in English, a simple translation.
4)The timings for the exams are as follows:
- Elementary: 20 mins (inclusive of a programme with a minimum of three contrasted items lasting in total between 7 and 10 minutes)
- Intermediate: 22 mins (inclusive of a programme with a minimum of three contrasted items lasting in total between 9 and 12 minutes)
- Advanced: 25 mins (inclusive of a programme with a minimum of three contrasted items lasting in total between 12 and 15 minutes)
Timings includes a 5 minute buffer for the choir to come in and 5 minutes for the vocal exercises. Timings for the prepared repertoire are given in the syllabus. You would need fourth song if your items do not reach the minimum programme length.
5) The entry forms can be found here:
Choirs will need to put your own address in the registration form, but for the ‘exam venue’ you just need to fill in the venue of the festival – ‘SJK(C) Yuk Chai School Auditorium’.
Please email the entry forms to firstname.lastname@example.org