Formed in July 2002, The Young KL Singers (YKLS) is the latest addition to the local performing arts industry comprising of approximately 40 members currently from all walks of life who share a common passion for music, singing, and performing.
Members include teachers, lawyers, accountants, students; various members of society, trained and untrained singers. The YKLS creates an avenue for all its members to express their innate singing talents in a relaxed environment. Furthermore, each production encourages the members to develop their creative abilities in all aspects of show production, be it stage direction, show and costume designing, or marketing and publicity.
The choir has produced sixteen concert productions to date, including a few sold-out and Kakiseni BOH Cameronian award winning performances. It has been a YKLS’ tradition to present music from various genres and theme in each production. So far, YKLS’ repertoire has included cannon choral music, Broadway musicals, jazz, ethnic music from around the world, Asian folk songs, as well as music of various faiths and religions. In 2012, YKLS staged their 10th anniversary production, ‘Popzzical’ – a production that featured songs from the Pop, Jazz and Musical Theatre genre – at both The Actors Studio @ Lot 10.
In 2004, YKLS launched its charity wing known as “Voices of Hope”, a program that reaches out to the community through music where member volunteers have the opportunity to pass on their skills learnt from the choir to underprivileged children. Past beneficiaries include Rumah Hope (2004 – 2005), Rumah Impian (2005 – 2007) and the latest National Autistic Society of Malaysia (2010 – 2011). In most of the productions, the choir also has a tradition of dedicating a show to the under-privileged.
Awards won by YKLS:
- Kakiseni Audience Choice Award for Music at the BOH Cameronian Arts Award 2013 – for ‘Popzzical’
- Best Group Performance (Vocal) for ‘Sinaran’ performed in ‘Popzzical’ at the BOH Cameronian Arts Award 2013
- Gold IV Diploma in the Folklore category (Open competition) at the 6th World Choir Games 2010
- Gold II Diploma in Malaysia Choral Eisteddfod VIII 2010. YKLS was also declared the winner in the Folk Songs category
- Best Group Performance (Voice) for ‘Sin Sin Si Batu Manikam’ performed in ‘Rhythmic Roots’ at the BOH Cameronian Arts Awards 2009
- Kakiseni Audience Choice Award for Music at the BOH Cameronian Arts Award 2007 – for ‘Move It!’
- Silver V Diploma in the Popular Choir Music category (Open competition) in the Asian Choir Games 2007
- Recipient of the Choral Assessment Outstanding Achievers Award Gold Level 2005 from the Trinity International Examination Board
- Recipient of the Choral Assessment Outstanding Achievers Award Silver Level 2004 from the Trinity International Examination Board
- Kakiseni Audience Choice Award for Music at the BOH Cameronian Arts Award 2003 – for ‘Through The Barricades’